Friday, February 11, 2011

Serial cereal blogging


My lovely and talented wife purchased for me a few weeks ago two boxes of "Berry Berry Kix." Now, longtime readers of this blog (yes, all two of you) may remember that this was my favorite cereal, but after moving to Virginia, I could no longer find it.
Well, apparently, Super Wal-Mart, where we rarely shop for cereal, in this area carries it.
To this point, I have eaten one box, and put the second on hold whilst I cleanse my palate with some "Frosted Mini Wheats."
My review?
Well, first of all, they have changed "Berry Berry Kix" somewhat since I last encountered them. They used to be regular "Kix," which are kind of bland, with little round, purple "berries."
Now, they are not so distinctly colored, ranging in tone from yellow to almost purple.
At first, I thought they tasted a little different than I remembered, maybe not quite as sweet and berry-y, but after eating a whole box, i think they taste pretty much the same.
I shall report back upon the completion of the second box, but in gnereal, I'd say they are still very good, but I may prefer the blueberry "Frosted Mini-Wheats." You can never go wrong with "Fruity Pebbles," either, as far as I'm concerned.
Side note:
The people who make "Trix," have changed the shape and color over the years, too. I wonder if they do it when sales slump, or if the good idea fairy strikes cereal developers, too?
"Hey, let's take this classic cereal that everybody has eaten for years and change it!"
Another side note:
On the General Mills Web site, there is an entry for "Kix," but not for the berry berry version. I wonder if this means anything?

No comments: