Monday, January 7, 2008

I found an interesting list ...

... of announcer teams for NFL games on NBC dating back to 1960. It's on Wikipedia. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_on_NBC_commentator_pairings

I was surprised at how many things I didn't remember, like Bob Trumpy worked with Dick Enberg as the lead NFL team for three years. I didn't used to like Trunpy as a broadcaster, but I have come to realize he really is an insightful analyst.

I also remember Marv Albert being paired with Chris Collinsworth, who like Trumpy is a former Cincinnati Bengal and 700 WLW Sportstalk host I learned to appreciate over time. That only lasted for one year, 1995. I could have sworn it was longer than that. Strange that I should remember them being paired at all, because that was a pretty bad year for football watching for Browns fans.

Here's another good one: Charlie Jones was an NFL announcer on NBC from 1965 until they lost the AFC contract in 1997. That's quite a long time. Nobody else was on that list for so long. I remember listening to him and enjoying his broadcasting, but I had no idea how long he had a been on the air with NBC. Oddly enough, in all that time, he never was the network's lead announcer. However, there's no shame in saying you were beaten out by Curt Gowdy and Dick Enberg for 30 some years.

I also didn't remember Jim Donovan, the current Browns' radio voice, was on NBC. After I saw the list, I remembered seeing him a few times. I guess that speaks volumes about his talent, even in a mid-sized market like Cleveland.

In fact, it's kind of amazing how many of these guys were strictly NBC guys, and never ventured to CBS or ABC. After the networks started bidding against each other like crazy for the NFL contract in the 1990s, all sorts of strange things happened, like Al Michaels on NBC. Dick Enberg is on one of the other networks now, too. Maybe it's CBS. Back in the old days, whodathunkit?

Harry Kalas, who does only radio games on the Westwood One network, remains my absolute favorite football announcer of all time, though. His deep voice and slow cadence are perfect for football. He is the play-by-play guy for the Philadelphia Phillies. If you are curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Kalas

No comments: