Monday, January 17, 2011

What's happening at Wendy's?


Have my taste buds changed, or are Wendy's restaurants getting worse?
In the past, I always regarded Wendy's as one of the best fast food chains.
Lately, however, every time I have eaten ay Wendy's, the food has been mediocre in a way that Wendy's never used to be. Mind you, it has not been bad, It just has not been all that good.
This downward trend set in slowly. I only really noticed in the last few months, but as I thought about it, I didn't remember really enjoying a meal at Wendy's in a couple of years.
I have eaten at lots of them the last year or so in various places, including several exits along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, a few in the Hampton Roads, Va., area and a few other places like Indianapolis and Columbus, Ind., San Antonio, Texas and Atlanta, Ga.
Sadly, there has ben much mediocrity.
The burgers have less flavor. The buns are not as soft and fresh. The fries don't taste as good, and this pre-dates the new sea salt fries they have been advertising. I think the sea salt fries are bland and uninteresting.
Apparently, I am not the only one, as you can see here or here.
(I have a theory about the "new" Wendy's fries that is completely unsubstantiated, but they look an awful lot like Arby's "Homestyle" fries. Since the same company owns both franchises, I wonder if someone decided to buy only one type of fries for both. So, maybe what you are eating at Wendy's now is actually just a variation of what they are serving at Arby's.)
Other chains, especially Five Guys or Steak and Shake, are serving better versions of the same kind of food.
Five Guys food always seems fresher, their fries really are wonderful (I would eat them here or there, I would eat them anywhere.).
I had Steak and Shake last summer for the first time in a few years, and I think if there was one close to where I live, I'd probably eat there every week or so.
As for Wendy's, the last time I ate at one was about a week ago. It was less that I wanted their food, and more to try one last time at a different location to see if I got another mediocre meal. And, I did.
For what it's worth, I think I am done with Wendy's for a while.

3 comments:

Raymond I. Schuck said...

Were you doing something with your crotch when eating at Wendy's? I only ask because you mention your "teste buds." :)

Anonymous said...

We have a good local wendy's. I am trying to ease off on the double bacon cheeseburgers.

Jcarp

Jefferson Wolfe said...

OK, I fixed the teste buds. Silly me.