Sunday, February 8, 2009

Doom Patrol will be patrolling again


Here is an interesting interview/story from comicbookresources.com that tell us that Keith Giffen will be writing a new ongoing Doom Patrol series. No word on the artist, though. I wouldn't mind if Giffen drew it himself
I have really enjoyed the last few iterations of the Doom Patrol, namely the one by John Byrne and the one written by John Arcudi. Both were pretty clever, but very different.
I like that Giffen says he is going back to the original Doom Patrol characters, and that he will be trying to make every issue accessible if you haven't read the ones before. I am sick of comic series that are written simply to be reprinted into trade paperbacks.
Doom Patrol has always been something of a weird comic in all of it's versions, and there have been many.
In fact, this is the one title from the 1960s that DC has not reprinted in it's "Showcase Presents" volumes. I have no idea why. I am always checking the coming attractions to see if they will be reprinting the original series. You can get it in hardcover, but at $50 a pop, that's a little rich for me. I don't want to read those old issues that badly.
Maybe Giffen's new series will push DC to release it. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think you should consider renaming your blog. the blog is about sports. comics. and general pop culture and history. miscellaneous it seems not to be. i like what it covered in the blog. jcarp