Tuesday, March 23, 2010

One less truly fun comic in the world


I have been reading "Power Girl," written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray and drawn by Amanda Conner for nine issues now. Recently, I saw this article, that tells us they are all leaving the book with issue 12.
This is sad, because "Power Girl" has been one of the most fun comics on the market. Every month, I can look forward to being entertained with light-hearted but still intelligent stories.
But the real joy of reading "Power Girl" every month comes from looking at the pretty pictures.
As you can see from the sample, Conner's art is simple, unique and expressive. I had seen her work before in places like MAD Magazine. There too, her style stood out among the MAD artists. She may not be as accomplished as some of those guys, but she brings a lot of energy and a sense of fun to the pages she draws.
Seeing the first issue was what drew me in, so to speak. There aren't that many women who draw comics, at least not super hero comics, and she brings a different, and very welcome, approach to her characters.
I wish this team's run on "Power Girl" could continue indefinitely. At least, they won't have time to grow stale on the book.
I'll just have to keep on the lookout for the next project Connor brings her unique talents to.

No comments: