Sunday, February 24, 2008

Is Red Green funny?

This almost should have been one of those "I hate to admit this, but .." posts, but I don't hate to admit that I like watching "The Red Green Show," weekends on PBS. I have enjoyed watching that show for years, but it appears to appeal to a certain demographic, namely men.

I know of no women who like it. In fact, since I got married some three and a half years ago, I have not been able to watch it very much. I usually find it in mid-stream because I have no idea when it comes on. Just as I settle in to watch, my lovely and talented wife comes into the room and says, "Can we NOT watch this?"

This conversation has been repeated a number of times during our marriage, and I have learned that the only time I can watch the show is when she is either a. gone or b. doing something completely consuming in another room so she won't notice it's on.

A woman with whom I used to work years ago apparently had the same repeated conversation with her husband. She hated "Red Green," and could not understand why he found it funny. She ultimately decided it was "a man thing."

I have to admit that duct tape jokes and skits about building engines out of rubber bands or something aren't everyone's cup of tea. But that show has a lot of funny characters and recurring skits that make me laugh even though I can see the punch lines turning left and coming down Broadway.

At any rate, I have created a special poll to measure the show's popularity among my hundreds of ... well, OK, dozens of ... OK, well, among the few people who read this blog. Please vote, and feel free to add comments here. I am interested.

(Sunday night addendum: I just discovered the show lasted for 15 seasons on the air. Somebody must have liked it besides me.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's CANADIAN for God's sake. 'Nuff said.

Actually, I DO know a woman who thought it was not only funny, but was genuinely deeeeelighted when I bought her the DVD set of Red Green as a gift.

Course, she IS from Virginia. I suppose that has an impact on one's perception of humor.

Regardless, I agree that it is a show with a lot of charm and heart. Destination television it ain't -- at least not for me. But when a good looking rather buxom blonde with a delightful southern twang in her voice wants to settle down on the sofa and watch Red Green, real men comply.

Anonymous said...

Yes, its true that I fail to find the humor in Red Green, but I appreciate the fact that you enjoy watching men in a boat blow up fish or drive around a trailer park with their car on fire. I've come to the conclusion that it's a MAN show, and I shouldn't question the philosophies of flannel-wearing hicks who like to eat squirrel meat.