Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Where has XTC gone?

Ahhhh, XTC.
Perhaps my favorite band really has forever gone the way of the dodo. That said, they did still produce some wonderful moments in pop music, and college music as well.
Here's an ember of the first XTC video I ever saw. I was 17 and a senior in high school.
I was amazed at how profound the lyrics were, especially compared to much of the top 40's vapid offerings.
I think I read a church bulletin once saying the Catholic Church encouraged people not to buy any of XTCs albums after this song and accompanying video came out, seeing as how it's about the denial of organized religion.
Naturally, I ignored that and bought all of them.
Regardless of what a person believes, I think the song holds up well as being very intelligent. I don't think you have to agree with the singer to appreciate the skill with which he has crafted this song.
There's irony in lyrics that deny God's existence while all the while having a conversation with Him. I think it expresses the frustration of human problems more than it actually endorses atheism.
(Cue Casey Kasem.)Here's XTC's "Dear God."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with atheistic artists and writers.
Isaac Asimov?
Kurt Vonnegut has a small chapter in one of his later books relating how Asimov is doing in heaven or something like that (of course it is a joke).
One of my favorite lines in music is "they went to church but left me in the street" and "she managed a late evening business like most of the town wished they could do"
from Bed of Roses. This group, the Statlers put a religious song on every album and made some religious albums.

JCARP

Anonymous said...

Freaking sweet...I hadn't heard that song in probably 10 years, and I had to immediately go to itunes and buy it.