Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Baseball playoffs are here!

This may not get posted before the playoffs start, but it is being written well before (or, the afternoon before, anyway). Here are my thoughts about the MLB playoff series:

Indians-Yankees:
I am biased, but I'll take the Indians. Two reasons: 1. I think the Indians have dominant starting pitching and 2. The Yankees don't. I remember those muscle bound late-1990s Indians going into series after series with great hitters and mediocre pitching and losing. The Yankees are a similar hitting-heavy team. The Yankees may have the better bullpen, mainly because of Mariano Rivera, but the Indians' pen is good enough to win, especially in a short series in which their weaker relievers may not have to see much action. The Indians just have to knock out the Yankee starters early and hold a lead. The Tribe can't keep up if the games become slugfests.

Red Sox-Angels
I like the Sox, although the Angels have some good starting pitchers, too. The Sox just have too good a team not to win in the first round of the playoffs. That said, I think the Angels could win this series on the strength of starters John Lackey and Kelvim Escobar, especially if the Boston bullpen, with struggling late-season acquisition Eric Gagne, doesn't pitch well.

Diamondbacks-Cubs
I don't care who wins this series. I really don't. I have no investment in either team. My prediction: Who cares?

Rockies-Phillies
Perhaps this is the most compelling matchup in the playoffs, with both teams sprinting down the stretch to get in. I was rooting for the Phillies all the way (Who cares about seeing another New York team in the playoffs again?) and not paying much attention to the Rockies. I think the Rockies overall hitting (Helton, Holliday, Hawpe, Tulowitzki and Atkins) is more consistent than the Phillies, although the Phils have more home runs. I'll take the Rockies, but not by much.

No comments: