Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Remember "Galaxy High?"




From Wikipedia:
"Galaxy High is an American animated series that premiered on September 13, 1986 on CBS and ran for 13 episodes until December 6, 1986. The series was created by movie director Chris Columbus and featured music and a theme song composed by Eagles member Don Felder. Galaxy High was about two earth teenagers who were accepted into the interstellar high school, Galaxy High School on the asteroid Flutor. The teenage boy, Doyle, was a skilled athlete and popular back at his Earth high school while the teenage girl Aimee was shy and as the theme song states, "the smartest girl in school, not very popular, not very cool." But once in space their roles are somewhat reversed. The alien teenagers seem to accept the not so popular Aimee, while Doyle tends to rub the aliens the wrong way. Although Doyle finds himself an outcast and having difficulties adjusting, Aimee does not abandon him, and suggests he can make friends and bring glory to Galaxy High through his excellent sporting abilities. The show drops many hints of a budding romance between Doyle and Aimee but was never given time to grow due to the show not being renewed for a second season."

I used to really enjoy this show when I was in high school. When I watched this episode, I was surprised at how few of the characters were familiar. I remember liking the character design as well as the stories and personalities they had, so I am surprised at how little I recall. I remember Aimee and also the guy with the "Earth Stinks" t-shirt, but that's about it.

Wikipedia also tells us that John Kricfalusi (of Ren and Stimpy fame) was a character designer on the show.

I also remember the episodes aired sporadically, and I was always mad when they skipped a week. I couldn't find why it got canceled, though. There's also lots of other related info on the Web, so you may browse on your own.

At any rate, there's plenty more Galaxy High stuff on YouTube to look at, if you are so inclined.
Here's an episode to get you started. DVDs are available at Amazon.com.

2 comments:

John "Nipplehead" Papp said...

So, I guess that alien with the one mouth and the four others off the top of her head could blow about five guys then. Hmmm...quite interesting.

Raymond I. Schuck said...

I really enjoyed Galaxy High, too. I would have sworn that it lasted longer than it did, but I guess that's the way of childhood memories.