Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Usagi Yojimbo preview

You'll have to look a little bit to see the inside pages, but here's a preview of the new issue of Stan Sakai's "Usagi Yojimbo," to be released March 26. Click on the "next page" like to go through the preview pages.

I'd love to go through a huge diatribe about how great the comic is, but I have done it elsewhere and I doubt I can't say anything but this: I have almost every issue of Usagi Yojimbo, and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Speaking of Usagi, here's one of my all-time favorite comic book covers of all time. I love the way the reflection shows the action. You have to look at the cover for a little while to really see what's going on, but the use of color and the use of that offset 45 degree angle holds your interest to make you keep looking until you see what's going on. It's a clever concept for a cover drawing, and Tom Luth's color really pulls it together.

It's hard to believe I have been reading this comic since May, 1995. It doesn't seem that long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always nice to see Usagi Yojimbo getting a promotional lift now and then.

The affection Stan Sakai has for his character and setting is evident in the 20+ years of consistantly high quality story-telling and artwork.

Stan Sakai also has the reputation of being one of the nicest guys in comics as well.

Abayo....
Steve

Visit Stan Sakai's LiveJournal at:
http://usagiguy.livejournal.com/

Visit the Usagi Yojimbo Dojo at:
www.usagiyojimbo.com

Jefferson Wolfe said...

Having met Stan Sakai on a number of occasions, I can vouch that he is, in fact, a wonderful person. I have several autographs and little drawings in various copies of my issues of Usagi.