Friday, June 6, 2008

Surfing the interstate highways

Do you know where you're going?

I was playing around on Wikipedia today, and I found a bunch of interesting articles about the interstate highway system. I intend to start posting about that material here occasionally.

I have always found roads and maps fascinating, from the days when I was a small child and my family went on vacation. My dad and I used to argue about directions and I was always right.

The construction of roads, the replacement of old highways with interstates and the road signs that mark them were all profound interests from my childhood.

So, here's the first in a series of undetermined length of posts about highways.

This site (which is not Wikipedia, just for the record) shows how interstate highway shields showing route numbers have changed in size, shape and font since they were introduced. Isn't it amazing that someone has started a Web site just for this? The introduction:

The Interstate highway shield has undergone a few revisions since its first appearance in 1958, with subsequent modifications made in 1961, 1972, 1979, 1988, and 2000 to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Some states adhere to these signage standards, while others have opted to use older shield specifications. Generally speaking, the primary changes to the shield involved enlarging the shield to accommodate bigger numerals and/or the elimination of the state name.

There's actually an oddity in the numbering of the highway in the image beside this posting. A leftover, musty official Marvel Comics No-Prize will go to the first person who figures out what is unusual about this one and posts the right answer in the comments section. (Hint: the answer is not on the interstate-guide site)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since it's an even number, shouldn't it be an east/west road instead of north/south?

Jefferson Wolfe said...

Very good! Your No-Prize is in the mail!