Sunday, September 28, 2008

Done been gone

Yes, I have, indeed.

In the last two weeks, I have experienced a major power outage that affected about 300,000 people in Louisville and lasted at my house for five days. The power went out so suddenyl Sunday afternoon, I didn't even have time to pre-blog things while I was gone. During this time, movers shipped me and the rest of the family away to Newport News, Va.

Of course, it took nearly a week to get the house unpacked enough to set up the computer and then get the cable folks out here to install the stuff that brings the wonderful Internet to me and allows me to bring all this mediocre claptrap to you.

There are a number of interesting stories related to all this stuff, but the greatest lesson I learned from living in a house without power for five days is: Gas water heaters work when the power goes out; Internet telephones don't.

A brief sub-lesson is this: libraries are great places to use the Internet in a pinch.

I have a story to post shortly about standing in line at Wendy's for 35 minutes. human nature is amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Libraries are a good place for internet access. I have suspended my home internet (not convenient for some people for various reasons). Of course the library is close to my house. So is Mcdonald's, with wireless access. Actually the McD acess extends to the park next to McD so I can walk across the street and be on the internet with or without entering McD. (I also have a wireless device able to access the internet, for free, text only).
Twenty five dollars, the cost of internet service, saved and spent elsewhere, along with twenty dollars of local phone service.
I think I might be able to move to pay per phone on Verizon and save around fifteen a month. This sixty bucks pays the electric, water, and satellite bill (twenty bucks).
Hope your settling in okay.

JCarp