Saturday, September 13, 2008

Petting my pet peeves (Part one of an undetermined number)

I really, really hate seeing someone use "alot." I saw this in a headline on a story in a Fostoria, Ohio daily newspaper's Web site. It's not one word; it's two, as in,
"I have a lot of ridges on the surface of my brain, but I am not using them when I type."
From "Englishplus.com:"

A Lot or Allot?
A lot (two words) is an informal phrase meaning "many." It can take an adjective, for example, "a sizeable lot."
Example: Karl needed a lot of time for the job.
Allot means "to distribute between or among." It has the same root as lottery.
Example: He allotted three breaks a day to everyone in the department.
Alot does not exist as a word. (Bold text is mine.)

If you ever see it here, it's a typo. Point it out, and I'll fix it in bold. And italic. And, I'll change the font color to whatever you request.
Affiant further sayeth not.

No comments: