Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Herb Score dies at 75


I'd love to write a really long essay about Herb Score dying. I grew up listening to him broadcast Cleveland Indians baseball games. Even today, when I hear recordings of him calling a game I either get chills or I get a little misty eyed. I also am sad that I never got a chance to see him play.
I do, however, have a baseball autographed by Score. I got it during an auction at one of the Indians winter press tours a few years ago. I won the auction for the ball with a bid of $45, which ultimately went to support Fostoria Junior Baseball. I suppose that's rather suitable. I'd like to think he'd have approved. I wish I had been there when he signed it, but nonetheless, I am very happy to have something he signed.
But, no matter what I write here, and no matter how long it was, it would really boil down to one thing: I was sad when he retired as a broadcaster and I am even sadder today. It makes me very sad to know that one of my heroes, and a man who brought so much enjoyment into my life, is no longer with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

herb score was a classic baseball voice. i wish he would have hung around the booth longer. indians radio broadcasts did and still do bind communities together. hopefully baseball remembers this as it moves into the future.