Wednesday, November 12, 2008

ABJ writer talks about Score


Longtime Indians beat writer Sheldon Ocker (who is one of the best sports writers in Ohio or anywhere else, if you ask me) writes about Herb Score here.
From the column:
During a game at the Metrodome in the early '80s, a manager called time and began jawing with an umpire. I was sitting next to Terry Pluto, then the beat writer for the Plain Dealer.
Neither of us could figure out what was going on, so we headed for the broadcast booth to ask Score. While we waited for a commercial break, Pluto lost the handle on a paper cup, and Score suddenly was bathed in hot chocolate.
He stopped his description of the game and told the radio audience, ''Terry Pluto of the Plain Dealer came into the booth. I do not know why he is here, but he just spilled hot chocolate on my pants, on my shirt, on my tie, on my shoes, on my scorebook. Hot chocolate is everywhere. ... And there's a fastball for ball 2.''

No comments: