Friday, December 11, 2009

Browns beat Steelers (Random thoughts about last night's game)


Been a while since we could say that, eh?
I went to bed with the Browns winning 3-0, figuring it would be all downhill from there. I assumed the Steelers would pancake the obviously inferior team from Cleveland.
I remember thinking, as the kick that put them ahead 3-0 went through the uprights, "Is this the first time all year they have held a lead?"
I wish I had stayed up to watch the rest.
Brady Quinn didn't look all that good, only passing for 90 yards, but the defense looked a lot better than the offense.
If the Browns had played like that more often, Eric Mangini might have a job at the end of the season. Maybe if they finish like that, he still will.
Josh Cribbs may be the best player the Browns have had since they returned. Maybe he's the best since Bernie Kosar retired.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My big TV went out so I canceled my Dish but Dish Network lets you keep the signal for shopping networks, Nasa, and a Chinese BBC type network. They also show monthly promotional channels.
One of this months was the NFL Network.

I did get to watch the Browns game.

The Browns are playing like the coaching staff is returning.

The game was good defense for both teams and Josh Cribbs for the Browns. Cribbs is old-fashioned football. Quarterback sweep. It was also neat to see a number 87 playing in the defensive backfield for the Browns.

Kosar was an important player for the Browns, both on and off the field. But Hanford Dixon, lead creator of "the Dawgs" and a local sports reporter since, ranks higher than Kosar. On the field, Ricky Bolden and Cody Risen at the tackles protected Kosar. When they retired, Kosar's career ended. Earnest Byner's did not.
Brian Sipe was better than Kosar.

Raymond I. Schuck said...

With each passing I am more and more convinced that about 5 weeks ago the Cincinnati Bengals secretly replaced Steeler head coach Mike Tomlin with actor Omar Epps. See for yourself: http://stuffpittsburgherslike.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/9-omar-epps/

Raymond I. Schuck said...

Whoops ... add the word "week" after "passing" there, though these losses to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns have felt like "passings" ...