Saturday, December 26, 2009

Blogging: No editor, fewer revisions

I just had to post something about my last post. I stand by the ideas behind it, but it shows that the immediacy of the Internet may not always be good for clarity of execution.

As I re-read the post, I discovered that I had left out a sentence that should have been present, and I broke the paragraphs up incorrectly. Or, at least, I broke them up in a way that's not as clear for the reader as I intended.

Here it is again, with the changes in italics:

Every now and then, I finish eating and the waitress brings me a credit card bill to sign with a pen from another restaurant.
Signing a bill in one restaurant with a pen from another always makes me laugh a little bit.
(New paragraph) However, if I owned a restaurant, I sure as heck would not want to be advertising somebody else in my own eatery.
What would I do? For what it's worth, here is my contribution to restaurant marketing.
Firstly, I'd confiscate all the pens I could find from other restaurants.
Secondly, I'd buy a whole bunch of cheap promotional pens with my restaurant's name and address on them. (Eliminate a paragraph break.) I'd make sure every customer had one of these pens to sign his credit card receipt.
On a side-note, I'd also encourage patrons to keep the pens in hopes they would use them to sign their bills at other restaurants.

There. Isn't that better? Amazing what looking at something after a couple days will do for you.

No comments: