Friday, January 30, 2009

Frank Cho is drawing She Hulk, but ...


... not in her own comic, which is still being canceled.
I completely missed this, but a three-issue arc in "Hulk" had two stories in each issue. One was drawn by Arthur Adams, and the other by Frank Cho. And, fortunately, the main character in the Cho-drawn story was She Hulk.
Both storylines in the three issues are mindless slug fests. Not being a regular reader, I picked up on what was going on quickly, mainly because one should expect mindless slug fests when reading stories about the Hulk.
But, that said, the art is both parts of the story is absolutely beautiful, as you can see from the Frank Cho cover variant here. Art Adams doesn't draw many comics these days, but the ones he does draw are always a joy. His sense for detail without sacrificing storytelling and clarity is amazing. And, although Cho has a completely different story than Adams, Cho's Alex Raymond-inspired art was up to is usual high standards.
I'll probably never get my wish to see Cho draw She-Hulk full time. (Marvel apparently doesn't want to actually sell lots and lots of She Hulk comics. If they just gave Cho the title to write and draw, I bet he could make Marvel lots and lots of money. Or, to be fair, maybe Cho doesn't want to do a monthly She-Hulk title.) But, at least I got three fun half-issues to enjoy.
(And, even better, I found them all at once after the issues had all come out, which means I got to read the whole thing in one piece without having to wait for it to get reprinted in a trade paperback!)

No comments: