Saturday, January 17, 2009

Top 50 sportscasters named; much argument to follow


The American Sportscasters Association recently named their top 50 sportscasters of all time. Here's the page where they announced their picks.
Feel free to post below and argue their picks. I'll not list them here; just click on the link.
I do, however, have a few comments:
* Bill Walton does not belong on the list. I'd replace him with Chris Collinsworth.
* Harry Kalas is way, way too low. He should probably be in the top 10, if not the top 5.
* Ronald Reagan was not on the list at all.
* I am happy Marty Brennaman made it.
* If I was picking the top five, it would be: 1. Ernie Harwell, 2. Vin Scully, 3. Dick Enberg, 4. Jim McKay and 5. Howard Cosell.
* If I were picking the next five, it would be: 6. Harry Kalas, 7. Keith Jackson, 8. Harry Caray, 9. Red Barber and 10. Joe Tait. (OK, so Tait reveals my Cleveland bias.)
* I am sad that Herb Score was not on the list.
* I am sad that neither was Joe Nuxhall.
* I am sad that Mike Patrick, who did all those Sunday Night Football broadcasts on ESPN, did not make the list.
* I am happy, however, that Joe Theismann, who did all those Sunday Night Football broadcasts on ESPN, did not make the list.
* I think Joe Gibbs was a pretty good studio analyst during his days on NBC.
* I think back when NBC covered all the AFC games, they had a truly wonderful crew of broadcasters calling the games, and you could not assemble as much talent between both Fox and CBS these days.
* I think, although Keith Jackson is known for his college football broadcasting, he is an outstanding baseball play-by-play man.
* When I was a teenager, I used to think Bob Trumpy was the stupidest man on the planet, but over the years I have completely changed my opinion of him and now look forward to the few times I get to hear him on the air.
* The worst sportscaster I ever heard was Paul Olden, who was a radio voice for the Cleveland Indians for a couple of years.
* Bruce Drennan is very funny, albeit often unintentionally.
* I would still be significantly more inclined to watch Monday Night Football if Mike Greenberg, Mike Golic and Mike Ditka were the hosts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

any list of top sports broadcasters with walton and trumpy as top 50 cannot be taken seriously. jcarp