Thursday, May 28, 2009

Craig Ferguson is funny


I supposed I am way behind popular sentiment, but because of Mark Evanier's blog entry about Craig Ferguson I have watched the Late, Late Show a few times. Sometimes, there are side benefits to waking up in the middle of the night with acid reflux that makes you drink chalky-tasting Maalox and sit up straight in a chair for a while.
I happened on the show amid late-night Extenze infomercials one night and enjoyed watching. His guest was Kathy Griffin, who I enjoy anyway. I'd be way, way more likely to watch "The View" if she had ben picked as a permanent guest host.
Anyway, Ferguson's show generally is standard nighttime talk show fare, but Ferguson brings to the form a new personality and a clever wit. While he seems consistently to get good guests, his personality and sense of humor really carries the show. I tune in just to watch him.
The way he mugs for the camera and not the audience also gives his show a different look than other late night talkers have.
I think giving an accomplished stand up comedian a TV show is a good idea (see also "The Daily Show" and "F Troop" for two different ways to make that work.).
If you are up that late, or own a TiVo, I'd say it's worth checking out (especially if you are like me and you are ten years behind in TV watching and haven't seen the show already).

No comments: