Friday, December 24, 2010

NFL playoff scribbles



1. If the Cleveland Browns had scored 37 more points in their close games, they'd have seven more wins. That means, they have lost seven games by an average of less than a touchdown, but more than a field goal. That would make them 12-2, with losses only to Pittsburgh and Atlanta. (I know a loss is a loss, but I'm just sayin'.) If they even split those games 4-3, they'd be 9-5 and somewhere on the fringes of the AFC playoff conversation.
2. If the San Francisco 49ers make the playoffs with a record of 7-9, becoming the first NFL team to win a division with a losing record, I am going to root for them to win the Super Bowl.
3. If asked for a Super Bowl prediction today (and I am far, far worse a prognosticator than Mike Greenberg can ever dream to be), I'd say Steelers-Falcons. This means the actual Super Bowl teams will probably be the Bears and the Jets.
4. The underdog team that would scare me the most if my team was facing them in the playoffs is the San Diego Chargers, who have scored more points than any team in the AFC except the Patriots, and have allowed fewer than any, except the Ravens, Steelers and Jets.
5. I think it would be really cool if the Chiefs went really deep in the playoffs. Then I could start wearing all my Chiefs stuff again. Seriously, if they aren't coached by Dick Vermeil or Marty Schottenheimer, I don't have as much affection for my second favorite team. But, I'd still watch more closely if they made it into the post-season.

No comments: