Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Harry Potter and the Movies That Won't End

General thoughts on Harry Potter (The whole schmeel, not just the new movie):
I like Harry Potter, for the most part. I really enjoyed the first two books, which I read together sometime in late 1999 or early 2000. They were clever and although allegedly written for children, they had skillful writing, intelligent characters and exciting plots.
The third book came out, and I quickly bought it. It started feeling a little bit like formula to me: introduce Harry’s mean uncle and aunt, show how miserable he was with them, whisk him away to Hogwart’s School of Magic and foreshadow an eventual climactic battle with the evil wizard Voldemort and put Harry and his friends in some mortal danger to give the book an exciting climax.
After a while, though, all the books started blending together.
By the end of the third book, I couldn’t remember what happened in each one. I still can’t. I think he fought a giant spider in one, and I remember the fight in the Ministry of Magic from the latest movie because I just saw it. Other than that, I couldn’t tell you what happened in each one. They all blend together.
As every reviewer has so far stated, the first two movies slavishly followed the books. To me, however, the screen versions seemed to be mostly exposition with some situations that showed us who the characters could do followed by a rushed climax and an overhanging threat of eventual grave danger.
The books didn’t seem this way, probably because author J. K. Rowling has a lot more room to pace the story. But the movies seem to spend all sorts of time introducing things rather than putting them in motion quickly.
What occurred to me today is that the movies taken in sum (maybe the books, too) are just like they are individually: Lots of exposition and character introduction leading to the real climax in the last movie. Maybe they will be magnificent if watched consecutively in one sitting. (You try it first. I am not dumb enough to carry out all my grand ideas.)
We’ll see when the last book comes out later this week, but Maybe Harry Potter VII will feature a constant stream of action, with all the characters who have been thoroughly introduced finally going into action in a giant, cellulose chess board.
Maybe they’ll change the movie title to, “Harry Potter and the Destruction of All Life As We Know It.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took my nephew to see the latest Harry Potter. The film has more good actors, in small roles to keep an adult interested, than any other kids movie out there. The child actors do not seem to have a bright future, but maybe they just haven't broken out of the Potter curse yet. Harry Potter should be a lengthy television series, or serial, not just a movie.
The lastest installment had some good themes about education and life but the story was derivative as was the movie itself. It ain't The Lord of the Rings.