Monday, March 23, 2009

I'd do it in a heartbeart


This story from the Plain Dealer tells us the Browns may be considering trading Braylon Edwards to the New York Football Giants for a second- and a fifth-round ddraft pick.
I don't think I'd think twice about it. I'd trade him. He drops too many passes to be a really good number one receiver. The Browns could probably sign one of a dozen free agents who would not catch passes that hit them in hands.
I'd also do any kind of deal that would involve anything up to a mid-first round deal for Brady Quinn. They already have three picks in the first two rounds. Why not stockpile them and, with an Edwards and a Quinn trade, get five?
If I were running the Browns, I'd make those trades and draft defensive players -- linebackers and cornerbacks. The Browns need playmakers on defense. They have a decent offensive line and could win games by just eating the clock and grinding out yards on the ground. With a good defense, that strategy quickly can make a mediocre team a playoff team.
Here's my pie-in-the-sky fantasy football wish: Wouldn't it be awesome if the Browns could draft somebody really high with the number five pick, and with the other later picks also get Clay Matthews III, the son of the former Browns linebacker, and James Laurinitis from Ohio State?

(By the way, this is the first post from my new iMac, which I got yesterday. You probably don't see much difference from that end, but I sure can tell.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

trade em now. although i would favor eight d backs. small quick lbs. and big and bigger running back tandam. i hate to say it but joe thomas should go too.