Sunday, January 10, 2010

Twelve Sturgeon volumes only took me eight years and I'm still not done?


I just wanted to say that a couple of weeks ago, I finished reading the 12th and final (as far as I knew) volume of The Complete Short Stories of Theodore Sturgeon.
I started reading them in September, 2001 when I got a couple softcover versions of the books for half price at (where else?) Half-Price Books in Columbus, Ohio.
I got stuck on Vol. 3, "Killdozer," sometime in 2002. I didn't pick it up again until late 2004. I remember having to shove myself through the story "Killdozer," which has caused me to pause reading several Sturgeon collections. Strange how you remember some things: I finished it in a bed and breakfast in Ireland during my honeymoon.
I started buying some of the rest of the books in 2005-2006 when I still lived in Ohio. I remember ordering them from Amazon.com, and being unhappy because I had to pay more to get hardcovers. I really just wanted to read the stories, not keep the collectable, and more expensive, versions of the books.
I finished buying the first 11 books sometime in mid-2008, when I got Vol. 8, Bright Segment, used.
For some reason, at the time, Amazon had them all new, except that one. It's still not in stock, and a used copy costs $249 now.
(If I were you, I wouldn't pay $249 for that book. I'll sell it to you for half.)
I paid $35 from a used bookseller through Barnes and Noble's Web site. To date, I think it's the only volume I paid cover price for, and that one was used. Is that irony?
While reading Vol. 8 I got stuck on a story called, "To Here and the Easel," for something like a year and half. When I finally got through that story and that volume -- during my two-week stay at Fort Dix, N.J. in September -- it was only a matter of months before I finished them all.
Vol. 12 was delivered to my house in October, shortly after it was published. That caused me to finish reading Vol. 10, which by then I was half-way through. (I wasn't very good at reading them in order even when I had a run of consecutive volumes.)
After that, I started and finished Vol. 12, which I thought was the last one. I read that last page just after Christmas.
When I got to the end, I was very satisfied to have finished them all. I felt like I had accomplished something. However, I also felt like people often feel after Christmas: Nothing else to look forward to.
Reading that series was a long process, during which I always knew I had a book I should be reading sitting on my shelf.
I thought I had read them all. I was left with a question I could not answer:
Now what?
So, today, just goofing around, I went to the Theodore Sturgeon Literary Trust Web site. I discovered that I was not done after all.
From the news section of that site:
Volume 13, which will be the last volume in the series, will be titled "Why Dolphins Don't Bite" and should appear in October, 2010.
Now I feel like I am at a concert waiting for the encore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read Sturgeon. I read several short stories in college after a discussion about him (with you and a few other people).

I have not read nearly as much as you. Science fiction short stories are among the best.

Speaking of rare books and art. The Jack Kirby family is suing Marvel for his stories and artwork.
It seems his original artwork and stories, along with the first run of the characters, should be the family's possessions. Marvel should give up the reprint rights to those first run comics, or have to pay something to the family.

There could be an argument that the characters are so old as to be public domain.

There was a story several years ago that Disney sued a daycare center for decorating with Disney.
Hanna Barbara gave them the Flinstone characters for free after they lost the lawsuit.

What is better, the Disney channels or Hanna Barbara cartoon networks as to the type and historic cartoons available?

JCarp

Raymond I. Schuck said...

I really need to finish reading these books. I haven't gotten Vol. 12 yet, but have otherwise kept up with them steadily as they've been coming out since 1995. I wondered how many more they had left, so it's good to know that vol. 13 is on the way. I'll have the same feeling after that comes out--wishing for more to look forward to reading ... Sturgeon is definitively my favorite writer (though I had the same struggle with "Killdozer"). "Slow Sculpture" the story is what hooked me on Sturgeon when I read it in the early 1990s.