Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WAKY is online!


Now you (Yes you!) can listen to Louisville's greatest radio station, WAKY.
Well, it's actually kind of "Son of WAKY," because the original 79WAKY was on the AM dial and was a rock station back in the 1970s. Acording to the Web site to which I just linked, "for over 20 years, WAKY (790 AM) in Louisville, Kentucky was one of the most influential and highly-respected secondary market Top 40 stations in America."
They had some great personalities on the air, including our old friend Gary Burbank. Here are some of Garish's air checks from back in the days before he was on 700 WLW.
Now, some of the same DJs (not Burbank, sorry) play the same songs as they did then. Of course, neither the DJs nor the songs are getting any younger, so the new WAKY 103.5 is called an "oldies" station.
During two years on Louisville, I became a huge fan of the new WAKY. It still feels like an radio station should, with little sound effects and lots of funny jingles for stations IDs. One of my biggest regrets about having to move to Virginia is losing this wonderful station.
(My favorite WAKY jingle is the one that goes, "The fastest thing in the air ... WAKY.")
About two weeks ago, before they started streaming, I missed WAKY so much, I sent the station and e-mail through their Web site. I asked if they were going to be offering a web cast.
I received this response:
"We are working on going live, hopefully in the next few weeks. Please be patient and keep checking back for our “Listen Live” button."
True to their word, I check this evening and there it was. Now, 11 hours away and far, far out of the range of the WAKY transmitters in Elizabethtown, Ky., I can still listen in. And so can you.
So go listen in already!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so happy! There's nothing like listening to Churchill Downs commercials and hick accents in the morning ;). Ahhhh, WAKY....I've missed you so.